Friday, October 12, 2007

Kimbeley in need of more money for Beijing bid

By S. SIVABALAN of The Star

Top national woman triathlete Kimbeley Yap will be requesting for more funds from the BG Group to prepare for the World Cup series events in her bid to qualify for the Beijing Olympics next year.

The reigning SEA Games triathlon champion was selected by the International Triathlon Union (ITU) as one of the eight recipients of the BG Group Scholarship Project last December.

The US$10,000 scholarship was used by Kimbeley for training and preparation for this year’s World Cup series season.

It is, however, insufficient for the entire season. Kimbeley has had to use her own money as well as to rely on her family.

“I really appreciate the funding which I received this year because it helped me prepare for the races. The two organisations were happy with the way I spent the money,” said Kimbeley. “Since it’s a one-year scholarship, I have to re-apply and the closing date is Nov 24.

“I will request for more money since the funds are not enough for the entire year. I have had to come up with my own money and my mom chipped in too.

“But I need to talk to my coach James Turner before deciding on the amount to request for based on next year’s race schedule, which is not out yet.”

Kimbeley is expected to compete in about 10 races next year in her bid to qualify for the Beijing Olympics.

“I plan to compete in six Asian Cup races and three or four World Cup races next year. The funds will be used for these races. I will know by Christmas if my scholarship is approved.”

Meanwhile, Kimbeley is hoping to take part in the Powerman series in Lumut on Nov 11 to prepare for the Korat SEA Games in December.

“I am on a break after competing in the Hong Kong triathlon last month and I will resume full training in two weeks. I want to compete in the sprint event (750m swim, 20km cycling and 5km run) in Lumut as a tune-up,” she said.

“I have to make a special request to the organisers since I am not eligible to compete in the sprint event.”


No comments: